Tuesday, July 26, 2005

forbes.field


forbes.field
Originally uploaded by recyclingfan.
So I'm sitting in Silky's sports bar in Squirrel Hill, discussing the movie Saving Face, and I notice a picture of Bill Mazeroski running toward Home Base in the 1960 World Series. He of course hit a homer out of Forbes Field in Shenley park to win the series for the Bucs (as they are called in the 'burgh). What true sports bar wouldn't have a picture of the Maz on the wall? I have seen videos of the old Forbes field in WQED documentaries: a ball park in the middle of a residential, commercial area - in Oakland. Fans could eat at diners across the street, then stroll in the field when the game started: a neighborhood ball park. Quite a change from the new PNC park, which is a corporate development all to its own. But here is a link to a story about park of the outfield wall that still stands in Shenley park. I have never seen it, but will search for it next time I am in Oakland.

No comments: