Saturday, October 08, 2011

Favorite planes i have flown- and my dream plane

Piper Turbo Arrow, 200 hp, with AC and window curtains. I cruised at 13,500 feet and descended at 231 mph.  sweet ride.  the turbo light would come on when the boost was too high (psi) and that made me nervous - idiot light, but annoying.  like the engine would really disintegrate (well....if you are stupid enough.....)
1941 Piper Cub Clipped Wing, 80 hp engine.  a hot rod.  almost killed myself in it.  Stalled on short final.  Pushed in the throttle with a death grip, pushed stick forward,  applied back pressure just as ground came up, bounced off the grass strip, stalled again, recovered, plane ok, just separated skin on my hand holding onto the throttle.  I flew missed approach (missed is an understatement) went around traffic again, landed, taxied over to gas pumps, the owner straightened out the throttle with two adjustable wrenches (I bent it when i shoved it forward) and cleaned up blood on throttle with windex, got me a bandaid, and told me to do 3 more landings. It had plexiglass roof, so on a 30degree bank turn, i could look out the roof, and see if the airspace was clear.  very cool.
dream plane:  i found one for just over $50,000, less than 3000 total time, 240 hrs since major overhaul.  Sweet.  I also found a Piper Arrow, 180 hp, for less than $40K, really good shape.  but for another $10k i could get a mooney!  I might buy this when i retire, and just plan on living in a trailer the rest of my life.  I have lived in trailers before, they can be nice, esp if I own a Mooney i can escape with on the weekends...........these are only 180 hp but cruise fast due to airframe and get great fuel consumption (gal/hour).

No comments: