Monday, November 08, 2004

election update

I have been working on the Kerry race since his last Senate race in 2002. I sent him a modest contribution because I wanted to get on his mailing list. In return he sent me a Kerry for President bumper sticker that has been on my car for the last two years. I just tore it off: time to get with life, find another politician to support. What really annoys me is that the evangelical churches had voter registration drives clearly linked to GWB, and that preachers used the pulpit to tell parishoners how to vote. I think the tax exempt status of these churches should be eliminated - if these preachers are going to campaign, then their church should pay taxes. Of course, who will investigate this? The Justice Dept under John Ashcroft? Remember him singing his song, "Let the Eagle Fly," ?

Carl Rove said the typical democrat has a PhD, and has values from the 60's and 70's - Hey! Getting kinda personal there, Carl.

Daily Mirror (England) put it best in their headline: "How can 59 Million Americans be so Dumb?" They are not dumb, they just live in rural areas, go to church and listen to the crazy stuff their preachers tell them, live isolated lives (if you limit yourself to the network news and prime time TV shows, then you are isolated), listen to Fox TV, and they were scared into submission by GWB.

Of course, we all hope Bush does something for his "legacy," like making Rudy Guiliani Chief Justice (great choice), or making William Weld Attorney General, but I think he won't.

As a college professor I have figured out that with my sabbatical and exchange professorships available to me, I could potentially be out of this country for 36 months of the next four years, thus missing 3/4 of the Bush second term Presidency.

"My advice is to start drinking heavily," said Bluto Blutarsky in Animal House.

1 comment:

Kevin Church said...

Karl Rove seems to think that education and values are a bad thing.

No wonder he's gotten the NeoCon stamp of approval.