Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Life of Pi

"I have a story that will make you believe in God." And with that, Yann Martel recounts the survival of Pi Patel after his ship sinks in the Pacific. Pi finds himself alone in a life boat with some zoo animals that survived the sinking: a hyena, an injured zebra, an orangutan and a 450 pound Bengal tiger. Finally, it's just Pi and the tiger, and somehow they survive for 173 days at sea. Of course I am a big novel reader, that is clear from my profile. But this book was truly amazing: I really liked Pi , the character, after only a few pages. What a delightful young man. His adventures on the life boat are truly amazing. Did this book make me believe in God? I think Pi confirmed my belief in God. This is such a beautiful book. I anticipate that every student will somehow be required to read this book - and they will love it. (It's in paperback!)

1 comment:

Noah said...

I have so many books that I want to read, I am still in the middle of the last one that I started and I have not made any progress lately. I guess I will just have to wait for "Summer Vacation."