Sunday, January 06, 2008

Barnes and Noble browsing

I received a $25 gift card for barnes and noble from Nathan for xmas and I browsed and browsed until I found a Larry McMurtry novel, Duane's Depressed, and a book of "best american reading" which has cartoons, journals, the iraqi constitution and all sorts of unusual but great reading "experiences." It is here: The Best American Nonrequired ReadingDuanes Depressed is about Duane, the guy from The Last Picture Show who joined the marines and then came back to the small puke town in west texas, the guy who was in love with the ball crusher Lacy. The second sequel to Last Picture Show was Texasville, where Duane was drilling for oil, was about bankrupt, his children were hellcats, and he meets Lacy one more time during a town anniversary fair. I have read the earlier McMurtry books, but haven't gotten into the latest ones. My favorite McMurty's books: Lonesome Dove (by far the best); Leaving Cheyenne; Cadillac Jack; All my Friends are going to be Strangers; The Evening star; Anything for Billy. I didn't the book Terms of Endearment (Aurora is really awful in the book, the movie makes her a little more likeable)
A, or Dead man's Walk.

No comments: