Monday, May 26, 2008

Biking Trails in Pittsburgh


I finally got my rear down to pittsburgh with my bike and rode the trails along the riverfront. I started downtown, went out east to the Hot Metal Bridge, then east on the carson street trail, turned around came back all the way to station square then went back, across hot metal bridge and to the beginning. Maybe 20 miles or so. Great views of the city.

Hot Metal Bridge named after the Alisa Furnace iron works, the first iron smelting furnace in Pittsburgh (1848) - trains would come across the bridge to the steel mills carrying molten Iron, thus the name of the bridge.

They used to name Furnaces after women, because they were so tempermental (seriously!). Alisa Furnace blew up in 1903 or 1904, killing 14 workers (burned to death). nowadays they would name that Furnace "Hillary." (Had to get that in).

But I really enjoyed biking in the city, and plan to do it alot more.

No comments: