Saturday, July 26, 2008

The MR2 Spyder








So Toyota brought back the third type of mid engine roadster and called it the MR2 Spyder to distinguish it from the previous models. Production stopped in 2005. My objective was to buy a MR2 as close to brand new condition as possible, and I found a 2003 with only 10,800 miles on it and it came with the optional 6 speed sequential manual transmission. The SMT makes the car drive differently - I prefer it to the 5 speed manual. When the transmission is in "S" you pull back gently to go up a gear, and push forward to downshift. If you can't remember what gear you are in there is a diagram on the tachometer that indicates the gear - the tach is center console, visible directly in front of steering wheel. It comes with 16 inch wheels on back, 15 inch on front. The vents in front of the rear wheels allows cool air into the engine compartment. The front hood contains the spare tire. The only luggage space is behind the seats, and it is called "storage compartments" not trunk. So I can only pack gym bags on a long trip. I think I will take out the spare tire and use the front for a small bag on long trips. It has 138 horsepower, but I plan to buy an aftermarket air filter and increase the HP to about 150. Driving it reminds me of the ME 163 rocket plane!
The SMT works with the shift stick or with paddles on the steering wheel. The MR2 far surpasses the Miata or just about any car in its class - the Porsche Boxster is the closest comparison. Now I need to find a garage for the winter - I won't allow snow to fall on my baby!

No comments: