Friday, May 29, 2009

Peter Max exhibition Squirrel hill, pittsburgh


So Peter max has an exhibition in squirrel hill at a gallery on Forbes. Is this art? I dont know. I like some of his acrylic on canvas paintings, but his mixed media on paper confuses me. Paper? How does he color the paper? Am i right that he sketches with a marker? then finishes with acrylic? Is this art? Or poster pop art? None of his work is less than $3995, the mixed media on paper. but how many of those does he turn out a day? like an assembly line? Is the asking price because of his name, notoriety, or because of the quality of art? he will be there next weekend, he will sign back of artwork, "To Mark, best wishes, Max" - is this one step away from selling paintings to tourists on a street in NYC? I liked some of his work, esp the large canvas with acrylic - bold strokes, unusual color combinations, vivid. but $59,000? I looked close: I think I could copy some of them. Would that then be art? I just spent an afternoon at the National Gallery in DC, so you can understand my confusion. Is Max in the National Gallery? If not, should he be? But I enjoyed the exhibition, the champagne and veggie dip was good.

No comments: