Saturday, July 09, 2005

Cindy Sheehan: mother of Casey, soldier KIA 4-4-04

Here is an essay by Cindy Sheehan, a member of Gold Star Families for Peace (gold star family is one who has lost a child in military action). She wrote the essay, "Still Not Worth It," after hearing Pres. Bush's speech on Iraq. Here is an exerpt:

The thing that struck me when I was watching that vacuous man giving his hollow speech was the fact that he could have always replaced the word "terrorists" with the phrase: "my moronic and callous foreign policies" For example, when he said that terrorists spread death and destruction on the streets of Baghdad and kill innocent people, he could have just as easily said: "My moronic and callous foreign policies spread death and destruction on the streets of Baghdad and kill innocent people." When he said that we need to stop terrorists from toppling governments in the region, he could have just as easily said: "We need to stop my moronic and callous foreign policies from toppling governments in the region." People have characterized the speech-lite in many ways, but if I had to pick a few words to describe it, I would say: "Hypocritical, manipulative, condescending, meaningless drivel."

At the bottom of her essay is a link to her achives: good reading. Well written.

No comments: