Friday, April 04, 2008

Queen Rania fights stereotyping


Queen Rania of Jordan has a you tube video that invites viewers to submit stereotypes of Arabs, which she will then respond to. Of course, some "knuckleheads" respond with stupid comments, like why listen to a queen, why doesn't support democracy instead of monarchy...WTF? Just how stupid and dumb are americans? No wonder Queen Rania wants to confront stereotypes - stereotypes are all we americans know. Women have rights and freedom in the Arab world, a conservative Muslim family is warm, close, spiritual. My colleague on campus (I won't mention his name but we are warm friends) is a wonderful intellectual, and Muslim. His college age son doesn't drink or smoke, and is waiting for his parents to arrange his marriage to a muslim woman, when his parents think it time. This works for them. I admire his family. Queen Rania is amazing: intelligent, educated, sophisticated, she says she loves reading to her children at bedtime because of the peaceful feeling....We Americans should admire Queen Rania, and learn from her. I met two college women from Jordan and they were wonderful - they word scarfs they said because of their love of Islam and their respect for Allah (may peace be unto him)- I only wish I could contact their parents to let them know how wonderful it was to meet two such charming, and intellectual young women. I swear there are times I want to leave this country - so many people tell me (esp foreign students) that I seem so European...I think thats funny, they are really saying I dont seem like the typical dumbass american. I am in a bad mood after reading the you tube messages left for Queen Rania so I am exaggerating my frustration...I will edit this later when i am not so Pissxxd off.

No comments: