Wednesday, February 06, 2008

citizen kane still the best


So I am eating dinner before class, and wouldnt you know, Citizen Kane comes on the turner channel. what a film! Dorothy Comingore is fantastic as Susan Alexander, the "singer." Heres trivia for you: Nat King Cole played the piano in one scene, and the reporter with the pipe at the end is Alan Ladd. But Dorothy is great - she was a professional singer who had to practice to sing off key for the movie. And I know Orsen Welles is a great director, but she was responsible for lots of scenes: they way she pronounces Charlie when she is mad - "Chaaa lie" to show off her working class roots. Or her rants at charlie, or her sarcasm. Or the restrained way she left him. A fantastic performance. I guess she was overlooked because of Welles performance, or because of the incredible film shots. She was blacklisted by the McCarthy fascists in 1951. Died in Stonington Ct, the seaside village where Nathan and I had a picnic on the pier, until the wasps starting flying around us - I still remember how mad Nat was at the wasps. But time for class - I will watch this again later. Tonight's film is walk on water - I will be receiving Etyan Fox's latest film, The Bubble, later this month - I cant wait!

No comments: