Sunday, November 13, 2005

Le petite Jerusalem

Good film, slow, very "Franch" (thats the way George Bush pronounce French). Its about the importance of religion in life, how it creates morality, supports family. But also how religion can be restrictive, lead to unhappiness, and be irrational. Excellent themes. Passion versus reasoning. How duty and responsiblity affects are behavior. The film takes place in the immigrant suburbs of Paris, and I wanted to see these areas since that is where the riots are taking place. the film is about jews, not muslims, but they all live in the same immigrant areas. It is a part of france (that is pronounced correctly!) that I am not aware. I travelled all over Paris on the Metro when I was there, exploring neighborhoods. But these distant, suburban immigrant neighborhoods are new to me. Very strange. Americans are clueless about France.

No comments: