Tuesday, November 08, 2005

squid and whale movie


squid and whale
Originally uploaded by recyclingfan.
This is the most depressing movie I've seen since "Turtles Can Fly." Watch this before you meet your therapist, then you will have someone to talk to. Its about a college professor, a writer, who is going through a divorce. Jeff Daniels can play a character without any redeeming qualities so well, not since Terms of Endearment has he played such a shit. Great performance, everyone agrees. Jeff Daniels is a genius in it. His oldest son is turning out just like him, phony, unfeeling, woman hater. His youngest son is mentally coming apart - the divorce is making him clinically insane. The mother is also unsympathetic. The only relief is William Baldwin who plays an eastern european tennis pro who calls everyone "brother" in a very comic way. I walked out - it was too depressing. The movie reminded me that I have unresolved anger and offense from my own divorce - so much so that I couldnt sit through this movie. And goddamn it, I drove all the way to fucking pittsburgh to see it - I was looking forward to it.

No comments: