Thursday, March 27, 2008

Israeli jewish Film Festival Pittsburgh




I just attended the Israeli Jewish Film Festival in Pittsburgh - great! We saw the film Noodle which is about a woman in Tel Aviv whose illegal chinese maid leaves her 6 yr old son with her for one hour, only she is apprehended and deported, and the Israeli woman is left with her son. The Israeli woman has many wounds, - both her husbands have died, and she could not conceive a child, and when she tells the 6 yr old boy this, he says, "oh..." each time. he understands her sorrow. She begins to understand his. She is a flight attendant on El Al, the Israeli airline, so she "arranges" a way to reunite boy with mother. Its a confusing film, because I am not Israeli, there is something going on between the woman and her sister, who is temporarily living with her because of marital problems. I assume that jewish or Israeli sisters have issues? Perhaps I didnt understand that. (Update: one of the sisters has lost both husbands due to military service, and she had no children. I think her character is shared by many Israeli women who have experienced loss of a son, husband, father. That she had no children is another thing to identify with: the idea that there is someone missing from your family, a child never born, or a child lost, or a family member who stayed in Russian instead of coming with the family to Israel.) Any way, the film is great, tear jerker. After ward a reception, there was 150 Israeli flags hanging from ceiling, great food and snacks, wine, Israeli folk dancing, and a great middle east band, Ishtar so I had a great time. It was only $35 but I had to somehow get to South Side Works from Slippery rock, which took at least 1 1/2 hours - way out of my way. the thing is I cant (wont) try Pittsburgh downtown traffic so I always look for a way to avoid it, and this time i went way out of my way. But I found it. Israeli films are so much fun - I think my jewish DNA attracts me to the films. I mean, my great great grandparents were jews living in Alsace Lorraine (France) until their son, Isaac, moved to chicago (he was a butcher, moved to the meat packing capitol of the world). I really enjoyed the folk dancing - it was great. wonderful evening.

No comments: