Monday, March 24, 2008

trip to NYC



I drive to ft lee nj friday and spent the weekend with my son noah. We had a great time, visiting NYC saturday and taking a techno music concert at the Japan Society. While waiting for the concert, we ate at a walk in middle east restaurant that also sold pizze - I had a falafel sandwich and pizza, noah had pizza and a falafel plate dinner. great food, best pizza I have tasted in a long time. We also discovered the Bhutan mission to UN office, and toured outside the UN - noah said the guards were giving me the evil eye, probably that black leather Macy's jacket I was wearing. anyway, the concert was great, I have never heard a "laptop" performance. In addition to the laptop (on one song the laptop was accompanied by another laptop), there was a harp and electric harp, drums, piano and percussion (the most amazing things used as percussion, like a hand held calliope that the performer blew in, and the sound was really unusual) and all the music was like a jam session. The pianist would play some chords and suggest a beat, and then everyone else would join in. It reminded me of the drumming circles I have been in (yes drum circles). Anyway, great time. we took subways, and we encountered many unusual people on the subway, preachers, blind beggars, musicians and you name it. Noah kept telling me not to look at them, ignore them - he buses to NYC everyday so is used to the strange characters. Someone else told me something similar: never make eye contact with anyone in NYC while you are driving or on public transportation. These pictures are of the Bhutan mission flag, and of the Raoul Wallenberg memorial, since this hero's body was never found, only his briefcase is shown. So very sad, this man saved so many jews during the holocaust, only to disappear in Soviet detainment. All in all a great trip - we also got haircuts at a japanese salon, very hip.

No comments: