Friday, July 24, 2009

Louis Bleriot - the brave man who first flew the English Channel


Today is the 100th anniversary of Louis Bleriot's flight across the english channel. I guess i have to read more than I have about who had the "first flight" in an airplane. Wikipedia says wright brothers in 1903. But I suspect that the french had flyable aircraft before that. Most parts of an airplane have french names so the french obviously had much to do with inventing airplane parts. Anyway, I think the above picture is of Louis just prior to his takeoff, minutes before he departed for England. Look at his face - fear, dread. But he took off anyway, which is called "bravery." I really admire this guy. His plane was little more than an ultrlight. see a reproduction here (I think its a reproduction - let me research this more). UPDATE: Not a reproduction, it is a restored Bleriot identical to the one Louis flew. Here is another video of this guy flying a restored Bleriot.

Otto Lilienthal is listed as the first person to fly an aircraft in the 1890's - he made hundreds of flights. He also invented a steam engine that was light weight, weighing less than the gas-piston engines of the time. Were his flights powered? I dont know, Otto is known as the inventor of glider planes. How far were his flights? I dont know if they were as far as the wright brothers. How fast were his planes? I dont know. I guess the identity of the first flight depends on how you define aircraft, flight, and so forth.

1 comment:

Michaela said...

I LOVED THIS POST-