Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Nature Center Fort Lee - Bird Watching


Noah and I went for a trail walk in the Flat Rock Brook nature center near his apartment in Fort Lee NJ. It is walking distance from his apt. and here is the link. It has miles of trails, and is very quiet, considering it is jogging distance from the George Washington Bridge and the whole NYC greater metropolitan area phenomenon. We saw a Great Egret in the pond, he was stalking frogs for lunch. He almost caught one. it was fascinating to watch him. We saw many other birds too, including a woodpecker. Bird watching is a great hobby, very peaceful, quiet. It made me aware of small things around me, like the tiny mole moving under the leaves. Very Zen. Its a form of meditation I think. I plan to go out to Morraine park near my house and see if i can replicate the experience. I used to jog on the bike trail but I was usually deep in thought and not paying attention to my surroundings. I remember that great movie from Bhutan, "Travellers and Magicians" (also entitled, "The Bitter and Sweet of Temporary Things") and how the main character is not conscious of the beauty surrounding him. Maybe that's true for all of us ? !

2 comments:

Michaela said...

I love this post and I am so happy when I notice the small things :) Tell Noah I love him!

リンゴ said...

Dad, here is the link for the Flat Rock Nature Center. http://www.flatrockbrook.org/
Noah and I went there yesterday and we saw so many tadpoles! Noah absolutely loved them and he petted them for a long time.
Come back see us and tadpoles.

Love, Chika