Sunday, July 05, 2009

Millionaire Jackpot lottery - I lost

This is Gus the Groundhog, the official mascot of the Pennsylvania lottery.
So I am breaking even with the lotto cards I buy at the Giant Eagle grocery store. That's because I buy alot of cards, play the odds. It is set up so you break even at best, or lose just a little - that keeps you coming back. But over the 4th was the Millionaire lotto game, only 500,000 tickets sold. I bought 6 for $20 each. My odds of winning SOMETHING were 1:3, meaning I had a one out of three chance of winning a prize (the best odds were winning $100, 5,990 prizes were awarded. That would mean I would lost $20 if I won $100. But still, for a lotto, I had a 1:4000 chance of winning a million dollars. Thats good odds, given the $120 price to wager. How did I do? I won nothing. not even $100. Were the odds bad? No, I just didnt win. But I did have a chance of 1:4000 to become a millionaire (or 560,000 after taxes). Is this consistent with the Buddhist middle path to happiness? I guess not.

I am cashing in my $20 Diamond lotto ticket today, buying another. The odds of winning a million bucks playing Diamond card lotto? Like being hit by an asteroid !

No comments: