Tuesday, July 07, 2009

woody allen movies come to cable TV



Cable tv has been showing lots of woody allen movies lately. Manhattan was on yesterday, surfing channels, saw it and had to sit for whole movie (I was having my morning coffee, about to go to the office, or orifice as I sometimes say). There is brilliant dialogue in the film, classic woody allen: Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Um... Well, There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. uh... Like what... okay... um... For me, uh... ooh... I would say... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... uh... um... and Wilie Mays... and um... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and um... Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues... um... Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert... uh... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra... um... those incredible Apples and Pears by Cezanne... uh... the crabs at Sam Wo's... uh... Tracy's face... and my favorite: Years ago I wrote this short story about my Mother called "The Castrating Zionist"

Then today was Everyone Says I Love You, woody's tribute to the romantic mixed up comedy musicals of the 1930's. the Soundtrack was amazing. I enjoyed the singing, even Julia Roberts sang, her own voice, beautiful scene with her sitting next to canal in Venice. And the dance sequence with Goldy Hawn was great, the cinematography was superb. And on top of that, there was the Groucho Marx dance number, the funeral dance number, - I loved it. What I enjoyed most was woody sharing his love for the 1930's musicals with a new audience. he is an amazing artist.

No comments: