Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Brother is an Only child



Great movie set in early 1970's Italy, two brothers, both concerned for the "working man," one is fascist and the other communist. The fascist brother eventually rejects fascism when he experiences it personally (his friends wanted to fire bomb his brother's car) and finds a way of helping working people, by fighting government corruption. The best scene for me was when the communist college student organization put on a symphony concert featuring Beethoven's 9th symphony (one of the viola players is the sister). Anyway, the communist brother gives an introduction, about how Beethoven fought for the workers (?) and how the symphony has been "defascistized" for this performance. as the music plays, it becomes apparent that the fascists plan to raid the concert and beat up people (thats what fascists do) and it comes to the part of the 4th movement when the guy is supposed to sing, and he sings, "Mao, Marx and Lenin, fought the state for working man...." Its funny because the singing part always annoys me, I mean I love the ode to joy melody, but the words are frederick Shiller's not Beethoven's, and the singing part goes on and on and I think could be easily 15 min shorter. anyway, when I heard the word "Mao..." I knew what happened: the commie students rewrote shiller's words, in part for ideological reasons, but perhaps they found the original words as annoying as I do! the movie was ok, I especially liked the Italian cars from the 60's and 70's, those tiny Fiats.

No comments: