Sunday, June 15, 2008

Three videos of Pittsburgh

Here is a video of the penthouse deck of the Penn Garrison lofts - great scene of PNC Park where "da bucs" play. I was thinking of renting a loft there, but now I am thinking of staying in slippery rock and instead buying an airplane - the airplane makes a lot of sense but I am too tired to explain it convincingly right now.

Here is a video of the three rivers art festival - final day. More food than art. I didn't go in the middle of the art because I had the bike along. The Alcoa building is visible, made out of aluminum of course. I was at the penthouse once, during an academic conference, it was great walking in front of the picture windows at the city, incredible view. It was the National Assoc of Schools of Public Affairs and Admin, a very boring conference, but the Univ of Georgia was hosting the reception and I was invited by the Dean who remembered I was an alumnus and was nearby in slippery rock - the reception was great.

And here is market square and the USX building, terrible sunlight, and all of a sudden the B 17 that was flying around pittsburgh appears - i heard it first, four radial engines are hard not to hear, esp with my airplane ears. I saw the B 17 twice but couldn't get my camera out fast enough from my fanny pack, and stop pedaling the bike too. The sun was so bright I couldn't see what I was filming, so I didn't zoom in on the plane because I wasn't sure if I was even filming it. dam.

All in all a great father's day biking in the burgh, my nose is sunburnt, and I went too far, my legs are mush. Monday morning 9 am I fly some more with Noel in the ratty Cessna 152 - i can't wait. I can't explain my love of flying - no one in my family has anything to do with airplanes. Obviously the "meme" of flying has something attractive to me, it could be the noise (I love the noise of engines) or the mechanics of it (I enjoy mechanical things, working on my old saab, studying how the instruments on an airplane work, looking at different airframe designs and comparing them and so forth...)

No comments: